Sunday, June 7, 2009

Reading - The Australian Library Journal Vol 57 No.1, 2008

Over the long weeekend I thought I would do some reading. I opened up my free copy of the Australian Library Journal that I had received by joining ALIA.
I particularly enjoyed the fist article entitled Reaching Higher and Looking out.
Michael Stephens' 3 essential duties of librarians caught my eye:
* Learn to learn
* Adapt to change
* Scan the horizon
The broad themes of the the Melbourne Unconferencein 2007 were also mentioned(these were based on Library 2.0):
* Embracing change
* Empowering users
* Unblocking information.
The concepts of the unconference came from Open Source Technology and were based on the principles that:
* Whoever comes are the right people
* Whenever it starts is the right time
* Whatever happens is the only thing that could happen
* When it's over, it's over.

I think I could use these for defining the role of the TL and what I have learned so far. Very interesting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment